Thursday, March 20, 2014

Castle Review: Season 3 Episode 24 "Knockout"


Director - Rob Bowma/Writer - Will Beall

**Spoilers**
If you haven't seen this episode yet, what on earth are you doing here? Watch it and then come back.

       Okay, so besides hearing about my family raving about this TV Series called Castle and seeing the advert for the beginning of Series 4, I didn't really know much about it. You know, the sort of thing that you know of it but you don't know it?

        The parents had to be depended upon to give me the crash course of Castle 101, which means a little coverage of the characters and a lot of plot catch-up. I fell in love with Castle before I even saw him and was interested in Espo, Beckett, and Ryan. As well as Montgomery and Lanie...

       Then my mother started discussing the cliff-hanger of the end of Season 3, theorising that it was all Beckett's dream or she was wearing a bulletproof jacket. I had no idea WHAT she was talking about so she, being a die-hard Castle fan and owning every season released so far, popped the season 3 finale disk in the DVD player and we watched it...


Favourite Bits and Crazy Thoughts:

-Poor Castle! He asks for help from Ryan and Espo, and they just clap at him. Okay, thats not quite right. Maybe this can help...:
          CASTLE: "Hey, guys, I could use a hand."
           [Esposito and Ryan applaud.]
         CASTLE: "Thank you. Yes, that's very funny. Just for that, you will not be getting an          autographed copy of my new graphic novel."


-Yeah, that makes more sense. Here Castle, I’d help you! Pick me! ...anyhow, well done to him on his graphic novel!

-The dude they chose for Beckett to visit at the jail was a total Creepy McCreepy face. I still get the shivers just thinking about him. I mean, he managed to manipulate a guard to move him from isolationism to being a normal inmate, and then goes and shanks some poor guy with a sharpened pen/ butter knife/whatever. 


-The trial was even worse, with the smug, cocky guy sitting there in chains looking... smug. But his getaway is really cool, with smoke, and guns and flashing and everything.

-Beckett’s worry for Castle over some dweeb escaping is really nice to watch. She may be a tough cookie on the outside, but she really cares about him on the inside. She is just REALLY good at NOT showing it. And I also commend Castle for holding on so long for her. That man has a heck of a lot of dedication!

-Montgomery asking Castle how Kate was doing was kinda... idiotic. I mean, he can see her, he’s her BOSS for crying out loud. But Castle's response, and obvious worry for Kate’s safety was nice.

-So, they find a pre-recorded voice message. About Charlie and Mike. At first I was like: “Say what?!” and then turned into: “Ooooooh, that makes sense!" Charlie and Mike is the code name for ‘Continue Mission!' No matter what Sherlock Holmes says, some criminals are SO not stupid about their organisation. But they are stupid enough to end up in prison. Go figure!


-They then establish, in an epic bit of foreshadowing, that a whole... look, it’s just easier doing this because Castle explains it better than I ever could.


- CASTLE: "I think I know who he's after. We know that your mom was killed because she was working to free a mobster who was wrongfully convicted of the murder of an undercover federal officer, Bob Armen. We know that the real killers were renegade cops who were practicing their own form of street justice by kidnapping mobsters for ransom. These guys were also working for somebody. Somebody big. Somebody who would stop at nothing to keep his identity a secret."


-Thank you, Castle! That helps so much. Anyway, they realise that there is another dude on the run, who is doing everything he can to keep his identity a secret, and knows who was behind Johanna Beckett’s murder AND who is pulling Lockwood’s strings. Anybody else notice Montgomery’s shifty eyes in the background? Anybody? Okay then...


-MONTGOMERY: "Put a detail on her."
  RYAN: "She's not gonna like that." 
         Words cannot describe how much I love that exchange to death! Montgomery is just trying to protect Kate and Ryan is not wanting to get his ass kicked. Brilliant!


-Kate is a bloody good shot! She shot a helicopter that was taking off, and actually managed to hit it. That's WAY better than I could ever do.

-I LOVE ALEXIS!!!! Seriously, I do. She’s like everyone’s best friend, more grown-up than her dad, and controls him better than his own mother does! What is there NOT to like about her?? Also, she’s a ginger. I really, really love ginger hair...

-CASTLE: "It's easier in my books. The just are rewarded, the wicked are punished. Unfortunately, real life isn't that easy." 

-Thank you, Castle! Tell it like it is! You and your books are awesome. Castle is amazing. Your argument is invalid. And here I thought I would only ever love Bendedict Cumberbatch. Well, seems it is not to be...


-Hello, Daddy Beckett! You really are cool, man! I really love him being all casual, and and saying that he’s heard all about Castle from ‘Katie’. Somehow I get the feeling Castle is going to tease her about that when this whole dreadful business is over. And Castle’s ‘Really?!’ face is adorable!


    -As well as his awkwardness. Poor guy just wants to tell Kate something, probably something he has worked out, or to tell her to just back away from this case, and Ryan just walks up and interrupts. This hasn’t been the first time I’ve wanted to hit the dude!


    - AAAAAH! Another body! *runs and hides* Oh, wait. This isn’t SO bad! I’ve seen WAY worse in ‘Bones’ and ‘Sherlock’. And possibly ‘Doctor Who’ and 'CSI' and DEFINITELY 'Criminal Minds'... This poor guy has a bullet in his head. What a charming way to go. Poor, old Ryker. Lets give him a few moments of silence *gives a few moments of silence* Okay, lets carry on. didn’t know the dude, not a huge impact on my life...

    -I love this. Now we know what helps officers to crack a hard case. A case of beer! Especially love Espo coming in with those beers behind his back, and before he can even ask Montgomery properly, it’s ‘authorised’. And Castle being all awkward about where they keep them (in the morgue, next to the bodies...)

    -Something gives me the feeling Kate won’t appreciate being referenced to as ‘she' all the time...


    -Time for Castle with his awesome powers of being a writer to SAVE THE DAY! Just, a small plot bunny for you. Why would he know what typewriters are like when he so obviously prefers using a computer? Somebody, help me out here. Did he have to do research for one of his books about them...?



    - Montgomery called himself a son of a b***h... why? I know he wanted to cover his tracks, and not make them suspect and all, but isn’t that taking it a LITTLE too far..?


    I really love re-watching the part about how Montgomery met Beckett. Two words. Beckett. Is. BADASS. Okay, maybe that's three. But she really is! I would love to meet this lady in real life! But, alas, she’s just a fictional character. 


    -Now the part, from now until the end of the episode, which has either/or had me in tears, or with chills running down my spine.... 



    - Beckett’s reaction was COMPLETELY uncalled for. She didn’t need to shoot poor Castle down in flames. He was only trying to protect the one he loves, after all. But, on the other hand, Castle should have pushed more for her to back away instead of her saying it’s over, and him walking out. What do you think? Am I right? Wrong? Comment and let me know!


    - Way to wake your Mum up Castle! Just chuck a glass at the wall, why don’t you? People aren’t trying to sleep or anything... but Martha’s conversation with him was completely necessary, and completely awesome. A lot like this quote actually. MARTHA: Oh, Richard, Richard. For a man who makes his living with words, you sure have a hell of a time finding them when it counts. Darling, let me give you a word of advice, alright? From someone who's better than halfway through the movie, don't waste another minute of it.


    - I still think he shouldn’t have given up so easy...


    -When I first saw this I was like ‘CASTLES GONE?! What the WHAT?! I love Castle! I give up!’ *starts getting up in disgust* But, thanks to my dad yanking on my wrist and me being a complete sucker for the case, I stayed. And thank God I did! Montgomery is awesome. It really is unfortunate with what happens to him... *sniffles*



    -Time for Creepy McCreepy face to make another appearance. I was wondering when he was gonna appear – creepily – again. What lovely threats. How original. Your family or Kate? Yeesh, can’t you be any more creative?!


    -Though, Montgomery’s last goodbye to his family is depressing. He and you know he is going to his death. His family, however, has no. Freaking. Clue! *starts tearing up*


    - Ryan and Espo going off on a tangent because they think they have a lead, but not sure and not wanting to get Beckett’s hopes up is really sweet. If a little dangerous. What happened if they got into some trouble? Kate has no idea where the hell they are... maybe they told Montgomery....


    -Soon as Kate got that phonecall, the TARDIS cloister alarm went off in my head, as well as this shriek-y little voice going ‘IT’S A TRAP, its A TRAP, it’s A TRAP!’


    -Ryan and Espo’s little tussle was a little stupid. But it does show the depth of loyalty those two have for Beckett and Montgomery...


    -Now for the text that makes your blood run cold... ‘The third cop – It’s Montgomery!’


    -I was so worried that it was Montgomery who murdered Johanna Beckett. I swear, if he had, I would have literally curled up in a little ball crying, and saying that was NOT FAIR! And I would have seriously questioned whether Steven Moffat was any way involved in this episode...


    -Kate as bait! What an awesome rhyme! It’s so very unfortunate that it’s so very true....


    -Time for Castle to save the day again! In the form of bodily carrying a very confused NYPD cop out and away. And trying to shut her up as well. She really can make a noise, that one!



    - Right, Creepy McCreepy face is BACK! Tune in to see Montgomery take out three of his mates in the blink of an eye! It’s just really, really sad that Montgomery had to go as well. Couldn’t he just have been injured a little bit? All the bad guys get killed, all the good guys walk away with just a scratch! Yay! Yeah. Not gonna happen. Ever.


    -*starts bawling* Castle and Beckett and Ryan and Espo all pall-bearers! Oh. My. Goodness! 







    - Now for the lovely. Bloody. Cliff-hanger! They are the bane of my life! I HATE CLIFFHANGERS! Thanks to Sherlock and Moffat, that is... poor Kate, just wanting to say goodbye to her friend and Captain. And she gets shot for her efforts. Lovely. What and awesome thing to have happen to you at a funeral.


    -Castle loves Kate! Can you believe that? Wow, I’d never have guessed! Well, let’s hope she survives, for Castles sake...


               So, how’d you like my first ever review of anything ever on this blog. Thanks for reading! I’m here till Tuesday. Don’t forget to tip your waitresses! Jess out.

    3.5/5


    No comments:

    Post a Comment