Monday, June 9, 2014

Classic Who Review: Series 1 Story 8 "The Reign Of Terror"

*Spoiler Alert!*
If you have not seen this story please do so before reading.


Forward

Ah here we are, our first story of many to come. Being that this is our first I thought it only fitting that it feature the wonderful First Doctor in one of his best stories ever.

"Where can I find this episode?"

Unfortunately this episode is not currently available to stream on Netflix so you will have to resort to other means. Whether that be picking up the DVD at Barnes & Noble as I did, or using shadier means (Ahem... Dailymotion) is up to you.

"What happens in this episode?"

The Doctor, Barbara, Ian, and Susan find themselves in revolutionary France. As usual they quickly end up in a jam; The Doctor is unconscious in a burning house, and the others -suspected to be traitors- are marched to Paris... And the Guillotine!

"Why should I watch this story?"

This episode really is one of the absolute best Hartnell stories in existence. It shows his doctor isn't just a grumpy old man but rather you really see how he IS The Doctor. If you only watch one Hartnell story, do yourself a favor and make it this one.

Randomness!

I want to talk about Susan in this episode. I don't want to be too criticizing over her; as this was the way she was written to be. OK OK I know back then we knew nothing about Time Lords or Galifrey but seriously(!) She basically goes deathly ill to the point of resigning herself to death over seeing some rats. Yes you read that right. Susan is a total wimp in this story but I can't really criticize because that was what her character was for. By the way, I wonder if regeneration can fix a beheading? Hmm... food for thought.

If anyone says Hartnell's Doctor was just a grumpy old man, they need to see the roadside scene with him and the work foreman. It really shows that "twinkle" that was the Beeb's reason for hiring him.

Oh yeah! No monsters, aliens, or real sci-fi of any kind! this episode stands out as being a pure historical episode. I love those for some reason, not sure why but I really do. Unfortunately they weren't near as popular as the sci-fi episodes so they were eventually phased out during Troughton's run as Doctor.

James Stirling... Who is he? I won't tell you, you rebels who ran right past my carefully put out spoiler warning! It's a nice surprise that I don't feel like telling :)

Conclusion

In my opinion the best First Doctor story in existence. A good storyline, good acting, and a great historical setting combine to create a true masterpiece of the Classic show. Yes this story deserves a 5/5.

(P.S)

Coming up next week: The Web Of Fear! 

What did you think of the review? Do you like the format? Any suggestions for future reviews? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment