Sunday, June 1, 2014

House M.D. Review: Season 1 Episode 1 "Everybody Lies"

Episode By: David Shore

*Spoilers!*

Everybody Lies (or The Case of the Philosophical Kindergarten Teacher)

Quote: “He cured you. You didn’t cure him.” – Wilson

Overall Thoughts/Observances:

            Starting a new show is always exciting. Starting a show that you know has ties to Sherlock Holmes and that you’ve been hearing about for a while is even more so.

            I had high hopes for House. And it did not disappoint.

            Right off the bat, we know that House is definitely not a very sociable man. Or a traditional doctor, either. Wilson (though we don’t know that’s his name yet) tells House that if he puts on the white coat, people might stop looking at him like he’s just a crippled patient. But House doesn’t want people to think he’s a doctor, either. Hmm, a man who likes defying the set code and doesn't have a high respect for humanity. Who does that remind me of? 

            The first differential with the team was a very interesting scene to me. Before starting House, I’d been watching a lot of Psych, Bones and Once Upon A Time (and I didn’t miss the chance to fangirl when I realized Cameron was Emma, let me tell you). Bones and Psych, at least, were very different than the House setting of having the Team and House interacting a lot of time. Those two shows focus more on their lead pairs, which I don't mind at all. But it was nice to have more than two characters to focus on, and have it pretty consistently throughout the episode. House is definitely our lead, but we get to see the Team and Wilson and Cuddy as well. 

            In this first differential, we get to see House listening to everybody’s opinion (though, of course, he dismisses almost all of their ideas as stupid, but still). It’s obvious already that he doesn’t really like people, and so this scene marks that Chase, Cameron and Foreman (who I just recognized as the Aussie, Emma and the Other Guy for most of Season 1) must be special to have House listen to them.

           Of course, we soon see that there’s a lot about the Team that House doesn’t respect.

            I’ve always been intrigued by the scene near the end of this episode where Cameron asks House why he really hired her. After talking to Foreman about how House only hired him because of his juvie record, she’s obviously determined to see if she’s any different.

            And then he says he only hired her because she was pretty. Oh dear. 

            I mean, he does make a good argument, if we’re siding with House. About how she didn’t have to work as hard as she did, and that she only did because she was damaged.

            That deduction though. About Cameron being damaged. So. Sherlock.

(In case you didn't know - Benedict Cumberbatch and Hugh Laurie were in a show together.)
 (Your argument is indeed invalid.)

            I had little fangirl parties every time House made a deduction. The ‘orange patient’s wife having an affair, all the processes he goes through in the differential as he keeps shooting down the Team’s ideas. I was confused as to whether “inspired by Sherlock Holmes” meant that House just borrowed a pun on his name and an antisocial protagonist. But after that last scene, I knew House borrowed much more than that from the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

The Case and the Patient:

            As for the case itself… it certainly isn’t the best, but for a pilot episode it was pretty good.

            I have always been un-attracted to medical dramas because of the actual medical parts. Call me a sissy if you want, but on-screen surgery, though fake, makes me squeamish.

            So cutting into the patient’s throat fifteen minutes in didn’t help much with my nerves. But, I liked the episode so much that I stuck it out to the end. I’m glad I did.

            The patient (who I call the Philosophical Kindergarten Teacher) weaseled some very important audience-drawing-in information from House.

            We get to see him hint just the perfect amount about his leg, about his opinions of people. Oh, how I wish every patient could open up House like she does. But alas, that cannot be.


Last Words:

            Can we just take a moment to worship the awesomeness that is Hugh Laurie?

            I’d seen him in Blackadder before House, where he plays a very stupid, foolish character (but does so wonderfully). Blackadder will always be one of my favorite comedies; it had a wonderful cast and storyline.

(Yes, that's Hugh Laurie. I swear. This is House.)

            It took several Google searches for me to be convinced of the claim that House was played by Hugh Laurie. 

            I just couldn’t believe (and still partially can't) that this guy could play the person I’d laughed at for three years AND House. They’re completely different characters, and yet Laurie’s still able to play both perfectly.

Rating: 7/10


            Hope you enjoyed my first ever review! Feel free to comment below. And, if you have any doubts, watch this show. You will not regret it.     


No comments:

Post a Comment