Wednesday, September 10, 2014

House M.D. Review: Season 1 Episode 8 "Poison"

Episode By: Matt Witten

*Spoilers!*

Poison (or The Case of the Thrifty Kids with a Knack for Ripped Jeans)

Quote: “Her only sign of mental illness is that she disagrees with you. Some would consider that a sign of sanity.” - Cuddy

Overall Thoughts/Observances:

            This episode has one of my favorite House scenes of all time.

            House: “I’m assuming ‘minimum at best’ is your stiff upper lip British way of saying ‘No chance in Hell.’”
            Chase: “I’m Australian.”
            House: “You put the Queen on your money, you’re British.”
           
            I find this pass between House and Chase so funny because 1) well, it is funny, and 2) Hugh Laurie (the brilliant man who plays House) is British. He does an amazing American accent, but yes, he’s from across the pond (for me, at least – hello, all Brits reading this :). So he’s basically just insulted his home country. And it’s hilarious.

            Just had to say that outright. Please tell me I’m not the only one who finds that scene so funny!

            Okay, back to the actual review…

            Our focus character this episode is Foreman. Cameron, the patient’s mom, and especially House himself all claim that Foreman is just like House. It all starts with House trying to get Foreman to say he doesn’t really care about their newest patient, he just finds the illness intriguing (which is a very House-like reaction, obviously). Foreman fights House off, but soon enough Cameron has started seeing the similarities between Foreman and House as well.

            We find out they even wear the same shoes (which is a great addition, in my opinion). And actually, as we look at Foreman throughout the episode, he is like House. He’s more interested in the case rather than the patient, (the mother calls him ‘just as pompous has he [House] is' as he’s helping implement the treatment) and he’s very satisfied when they find the answer. However, instead of going and talking to the mother and the kid on the way out, he decides to go along with House in the elevator instead, leaving the caring and sharing up to Cameron. And then, there’s this:


            This is why I love House.

The Case and the Patient:

            I actually found the case quite interesting for this episode – they really had to dig deep for the answer, and when they found it, it was something pretty normal. A guy selling stolen clothes to kids for less had managed to get poison on the clothes. That’s something that could feasibly happen. I mean, the point of all House cases is that they’re technically possible. But this just seemed more realistic.

            The mother of Patient #1 and the parents of Patient #2 were all very convincing. Protective, caring, and worried, just as parents would be. I do like how we saw the Mom of P #1 fighting against House’s advice, and having The Team deal with that. Of course The Team is going to get doubted when their first guess is wrong – and of course people are going to turn on them when they feel like another trial would put their ‘babies’ in danger. It’s a thing that happens, and House portrayed it well.

            I can’t really judge the patients because they were pretty much out for the whole episode, but am I the only one who thinks about how hard it must be to act like you’re having a seizure? I mean, you’re flailing all over the place. That takes energy! I’m serious! I couldn’t do that for as long as the House guys have to. Oh well. Guess they’ll never cast me for a seizing patient role.
                                                                                            
The Clinic:


MULTI-FANDOM ACTOR SPOTTED! MULTI-FANDOM ACTOR SPOTTED!

            YES! I LOVE it when I find actors who have been in more than one TV show I watch! It’s like an easter egg, and you get to see more of a (usually) good actor. The multi-fandom actor in this episode is Kurt Fuller. The first thing I saw him in was Psych as Woody, and after I saw this episode I saw him in Supernatural as Zachariah. He had a short role as the syphilis lady’s son, but I was happy to see him even for those few minutes.

In Psych as Woody
In Supernatural as Zachariah
In House as Mark Adams 

            Speaking of syphilis lady… this clinic case made me chuckle a few times. How can you not laugh after seeing House getting hit on by an 80-something-year-old, and then being read her poetry by Wilson (it was actually a pretty good poem, too – good on her)? I wish we could have more clinic cases like these. They’re a House specialty.

Last Words:


            It feels like House is settling in. A case happens, House tries a cure (with the optional ‘House gets Foreman to break into the patient’s house’ beforehand), it doesn’t work, he gets a little more information, he tries another cure, and that doesn’t work, and then he suggests a risky cure that only part of the Team supports him on, and either that one works or the next one does. Also, we have Cuddy in there telling House not to do the thing (and then subsequently House does the thing), and Wilson giving us a couple laughs plus some insight into House. Not a bad rhythm, I think. But how long will it stay? And what will happen when it inevitably changes?


Rating: 9.4/10 


Thanks for reading, guys! :)

Next Episode

No comments:

Post a Comment