Tuesday, August 19, 2014

I Can't Stop


A starving artist driving herself mad
Trying to salvage writing that is bad
Crying over fanfiction that is really sad
Pajamas are plaid
It’s all she had

Writing the next great bestseller
Burning through poetry helter-skelter
Too much time inside, giving her pallor
A storyteller
A blog-dweller

Blunt pens and crumpled pages everywhere
Trying not to rip out my hair
Because the words aren't cooperating
So I'm crying and perspirating

The characters are so bland
Got writer's cramp in my hand
Better plan on no sleep tonight
Gotta work until I get this right

Gotta write something
My mind is exploding
My fingers are itching
But somehow the words won't come
Got writer's block
Keyboard is locked

But I can't stop,
And I won't stop
Because sleep is not for me
Not until I fix this analogy

And I can't stop
No I won't stop
Got punctuation to double-check
Gotta research how to varnish a deck
Yeah, yeah

She’s going crazy from a lack of sleep
Crying over posts that aren’t actually so deep
Breaking her keyboard from an abuse of ‘delete’
Rinse and repeat
Admit defeat

My phone rang and broke my train of thought
Low on sleep and overwrought
But this rhyme scheme’s bugging me
Why did I ever start writing poetry?
The publisher sent back my book
Said that it needs lots of work
I’m so disgusted
Pencil lead’s busted, oh no!

And nothing is working
My stomach is churning
My tired eyes burning
Because this is the millionth time
That I’ve re-written
This manuscript

But I can’t stop
And I won’t stop
Until the dialogue is smooth and nice
Even if I have to rework it thrice

So I can’t stop
And I won’t stop
Living off bread and water
Sneezed and dripped coffee all over
Oh fudge!

Lack of sleep and too much caffeine
Wastes time reading old magazines
Procrastinating writing that scene
Stuck in-between
Criticism’s extreme

This is the life story of all
Writers whether they’re big or small
Too many ideas, cannot use them all
Head against wall
Need an overhaul

But we can’t stop
And we won’t stop
Because there’s so many tales to tell
Another re-imagining of how Rome fell

So we can’t stop
And we won’t stop
There’s scripts and fanfiction
Writing is our addiction
We’re doomed.



No comments:

Post a Comment